Friday, January 23, 2009

Holding on Loosely

Life. It's funny isn't it? I love how we have these dreams and these goals, our own plans for our life, and in a split second God can change them. I've really begun to realize how set I thought college was suppose to be. Graduate in four years, get married, move away and find a job, raise a family. And that was it. Nothing else. Boy did that take a whirlwind. I've always worried about graduating on time. Since the summer before I entered A&M I have yet to be completely sure with what I'm suppose to do with my life. I thought I had finally figured it out. And of course I started planning then on after. I need to do this, this, and this. This has to get done by this time and so on. But really, it doesn't. Yeah advisers, parents, whoever it is, they tell you "graduate in four years" "you need to know exactly your plans by your sophomore year". Yeah that might be the "ideal" for college students today, but that really shouldn't matter. God has His own timing for everyone. Some sooner than others. I'm beginning to realize that God has made the decision to make me a "late bloomer" if you want to call it that. And through the whole process He is really teaching me patience and trust.

I could not be more thankful for the parents I have. These past two days I have finally broken out of my comfort zone, have began to ask questions and talk to those who have the same interests as me. I could not be more blessed for the girls in ASC as well. Trying to figure out what God has in store for me has been a really big struggle, especially right now. Talking with my parents and girl friends have really encouraged me to take on my dreams. Yet, as Ashley told me (thanks to Donna Stuart) we must hold on to everything loosely because we never know when God is going to change our hearts and our direction. I loved that! So often do we try to do exactly what "we" want to do, what "we" think we are to do, when really maybe that is not what God wants at all for us, or at least permanently. Jeremiah 29:11 is such a popular verse but wonderful! It reads "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Along with that I absolutely love (another familiar verse) Isaiah 40:30-31, "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Chasing our dreams can be difficult, giving up dreams or plans we have set for ourselves is even harder to give up, but God has a plan for everyone and He will get you there. The road might be long, hurtful, and tiring but everything will work out in the end. It is what God has intended for us all along.

So I'm in waiting I guess you could say. Or as Donna Stuart and Ashley put it so well, "holding on loosely". I'm ready, Lord. Take me as I am and use me for your will.

A few verses for encouragement:

"And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light." ~Colossians 1:10-12

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
~Colossians 3:11-13

"In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear." ~ 2 Timothy 4:1-3

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." ~Galations 5:22-23

"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." ~Ephesians 5:15-17

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."
~Ephesians 6:10-18

1 comment:

  1. "Hold on loosely
    don't let go.
    If you cling too tightly
    you're gunna lose control."
    - .38 Special

    ...okay so maybe the second of that doesn't really relate, but your post reminded me of that song.

    I like the idea of holding on loosely to your plans, because God tends to change them. There's much truth in that, and I've personally experienced that to the utmost. I mean, I'm in Nashville because God changed my plans.

    Anyways, know this: God will not let go of you. There is a temptation to hold on to God loosely as we hold on to our plans loosely. The way to the incomprehensible peace Christ talks about is to hold onto Him AS TIGHTLY as we want to hold on to our plans. Yet, even when we are in a fog, He holds us just as tightly as when we can see him clearly.

    I'm praying for ya, Amanda Leigh.

    ReplyDelete